Clem or Clement is an almost unique name.
I tell people that it's a good Texas name, which is a joke since I don't come from Texas.
So how did I get that name?
As my mother recalls it, I was named after the main character Clement (Clym) Yeobright in
the Thomas Hardy (1840-1928) novel "Return of the Native".
As my father recalls it, I was named after Clement Richard Attlee (1883-1967),
British Prime Minister (1945-1951).
Other people/characters/things with Clem in their name:
- 14 Pope Clements including one Saint
- Clement Hansworth, a Nixon nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court
- Roger Clemens, pitcher formerly of the Boston Red Sox
- Samuel Clemens, writer better known as Mark Twain
- George Clemenceau, French Statesman
- Clementine Churchill, wife of British Prime Minster Sir Winston Churchill
- Virginia Clemwas Edgar Allan Poe's wife's maiden name
- R.Clem Widrig is listed in the credits of all but the last "Gunsmoke"
series(when Earl Huntoon appears); he was the property master; he has a
somewhat legendary aspect as being extremely knowledgeable in the arms and
accoutrements of the period. He is also the (uncredited) guy who gets shot
weekly in the shootout in the opening scene/title shot of the episodes.
I'll add to this list as I encounter other Clems.
Last updated 9/8/1998
Copyright © 1998, Clem Wang. All rights reserved.